(Image Source: https://www.findspark.com/)
Have you ever felt this way when you are looking for article or research paper and they ask you to pay for it? Or when Taylor Swift remove her music from online streaming?
Being able to access to free content is by open access.
(Image Source: openaccessweek.org/)
The video below explains what is open access about.
When content producers use open access there will be some pros and cons:
- Increase Readership
Because the articles are available online for free, there will be an increase of readership. When the public is able to gain access to the articles, there will be an increase of citations as well . As a marketer, if my marketing research paper is able to gain more views and comments it will benefit me improve on it and even inspire me to go for a new direction of research.
- International Access
Having your article being easily googled online, it will be able to go worldwide. Developing countries will be able to gain access to the articles and have the chance to participate in research despite their low-income . Also they can improve on their transfer of education with the aid of free articles. Video below is an example of how open access has help a breakthrough:
- Costs incurred
Having a free article, there is nobody to support the publication and the research & development fees. Producers have to fork out these fees on their own and this could discourage them from publishing on open access .
Because of the lack of funding for the Research and Development, the quality of the article could be worst than traditional paid access models. With the traditional paid access model, there will be funding to sustain the articles, however with open access, sustainability could be a difficulty .
Let’s look into the music industry for example.
Miley Cyrus released her new album for free, her reason for it? She wanted to have a break from the mainstream music so she has this album as an experiment. And it was a good investment where she got the artistic freedom and also keeps her name in the press .
(Image Source: tumblr.com)
As compared to Taylor Swift where she wants consumers to buy her music as she feels music is art and valuable art should be paid for . With her “enthusiastic optimist” she sold 14.9 millions tracks on iTunes !
(Image Source: tumblr.com)
In conclusion, there isn’t a definite yes or no of whether content producer should make their content free but it comes down to the objective of their content.
Word Count: 420 words
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Access. (2013, October 25). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://www.edanzediting.com/blog/advantages_and_disadvantages_open_access#.VkL7ymQrL-Y
- Advantages and disadvantages of Open Access. (n.d.). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from https://www.tue.nl/en/university/library/education-research-support/scientific-publishing/open-access-coach/general-information-news/pros-and-cons-of-open-access/
- Litttle records: Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Access Journals. (2013, February 25). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://monlywhite.blogspot.sg/2013/02/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-open.html
- Pros and cons. (n.d.). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://www.openaccess.nl/en/what-is-open-access/pros-and-cons
- Does Miley’s Free Album Make Sound Business Sense? (2015, September 2). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2015/09/02/does-mileys-free-album-make-sound-business-sense/
- Taylor Swift urges artists not to give away music for free. (2014, July 8). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/taylor-swift-urges-artists-not-to-give-away-music-for-free-9592253.html
- Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ One-Year Anniversary: 13 Impressive Chart Facts for the Blockbuster Album. (2015, October 27). Retrieved November 11, 2015, from http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6745034/taylor-swift-1989-anniversary-chart-facts